ILT Academy presents a 24-hour introductory courseon Greek type design!
ILT Class: Introduction to Greek Type Design
19 January – 11 May, 2023,
classes take place at 4pm UK time
- Session 1: 19 January: Intro to Greek alphabet + exercise 1
- Session 2: 26 January: Explore styles + exercise 2
- Session 3: 2 February: Creating a system + exercise 3
- Session 4: 9 February: Defining a scope, beginning of a typeface project
- Session 5: 16 February: History 1, type review of basic lc character set
- Session 6: 23 February: History 2, type review of small lc character set
- Session 7: 2 March: Proofing, specimen design and type review of small lc character set
- Session 8: 16 March: History 3, type review of complete basic lc set
- Session 9: 30 March: type review of complete basic lc set
- Session 10: 13 April: type review of complete basic uc set
- Session 11: 27 April: Technical Greek: OpenType features + encodings, Type review of extra styles
- Session 12: 11 May: Final presentations, fonts and specimen
The course is consisting of hands-on exercises, study of primary and secondary sources of Greek typography and one main project. Thought the three exercises the participants will experiment and examine the possibilities of the Greek script and learn through practice. Some basic historical information will be given in a form of lectures in the middle of the course.
The main project will be will be an opportunity for each participant to design their own new Greek typeface and apply their gained knowledge into practice.
Participants will be required to work in between sessions — this is crucial for the main project to develop fully.
The course is for anyone interested in Greek type design! Those with previous knowledge in type design will be able to progress more quickly, but the course is structured in such a way that no advance knowledge of either Greek or type design is required. However, the participants need to have a strong background in design principles and DTP applications.
A stable internet connection and a Mac with Glyphs 3 preinstalled are required.