Introduction to Latin Type Design with Malou Verlomme ↗
24 hours of teaching spread over 3 months: learn Latin type design from French star designer Malou Verlomme.
Participants receive an extended trial license and can purchase their own full license at a discount.
Introduction to Latin Type Design
15 Sept—29 Dec 2022
Thursdays, 4pm UK time
This introductory course is 24 hours of teaching spread over 3 months. The course is for anyone interested in Latin type design! Those with previous knowledge will be able to progress more quickly, but the course is structured in such a way that no advance knowledge of type design is required. However, the participants need to have a strong background in design principles and DTP applications.
The course is comprised of 3 exercises and 1 main project. The Exercises are a way to quickly capture 3 essential approaches to type design and to give basic understanding of the construction of the Latin alphabet.
The main project will be will be an opportunity for each participant to design their own new typeface!
Participants will be required to work in between sessions — this is crucial for the main project to develop fully.
- Session 1: Sept. 15 — Writing letters : the calligraphic approach + exercise 1
- Session 2: Sept. 22 — Sculpting letters : the physical approach + exercise 2
- Session 3: Sept. 29 — Drawing letters : the structural approach + exercise 3
- Session 4: Oct. 6 — Start of typeface project : Defining the brief + Sketching type
- Session 5: Oct. 13 — Project first sketches review + Glyphs app Intro
- Session 6: Oct. 20 — Project review (Basic character set) + Key Glyphs features
- Session 7: Oct. 27 — Project review (Basic character set) + Numerals & punctuation
- Session 8: Nov. 3 — Project review (Extended character set) + Diacritics & composites
- Session 9: Nov. 17 — Project review (Extended character set) + Italic design
- Session 10: Dec. 1 — Project review (Full character set) + Family extension, interpolation
- Session 11: Dec. 15 — Project review (Full character set & additional weight sketches) + OpenType features, specimen design
- Session 12: Dec. 29 — Final review, project “delivery” (a font / set of fonts & a specimen) + Celebration!
DTP experience recommended, max. 12 participants
The course fee is £990 + 20% VAT (if applicable) and is non-refundable. Participants are exempt of VAT if registering as an EU business.
A stable internet connection is required, as well as the latest Glyphs software on a Mac.