Intermediate Type Design Workshop is an online group course for beginner type designers who seek to enhance and develop their projects and skills while diving deeper into the profession of a type designer.
Participants receive an extended trial license and can purchase their own full license at a discount.
Intermediate Type Design Workshop 2022
• Course duration: 4 months/16 weeks — September to December 2022;
• Meetings: twice a week
(on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7 pm to 10 pm GMT +3, Moscow);
• Final presentation: January 2023.
The classes will consist of lectures, practice and individual critiques. Besides working on advancing your projects, we will cover the following:
- Type family — specifics of planning and design (Text/Display, Regular/Bold/Italic, etc);
- Creating a variable font;
- Expanding the symbols: numbers, punctuation, etc;
- Expanding language support, diacritics;
- Blue zones, hinting;
- OpenType features;
- Font Info and file generation for type families;
- Type project presentation tips.
After the workshop you will have: A typeface, of course! The goal of this course is to help you to advance your type project and plan out the type family. We will also design various styles (regular, bold, italic, etc) and scripts (Latin and Cyrillic).
Online: Zoom and Slack
We have invited a few surprise guest speakers who will share their design experience and will provide critiques for your projects.
Prior experience required. Max 12 particpants.
Price: $2000 / ₽150 000
Can be paid in one or two payments (50% prior to the course and the remaining amount in September)
Payment methods: debit/credit card payment through Eventbrite or an invoice.
- A computer and basic knowledge of any font editor (we will provide you with a temporary license for Glyphs/Robofont for the duration of the course);
- A pre-existing typeface project that you will be developing in this course;
- Free time for homework assignments (at least 6-8 hours/week).
You will need to email info at typedesignworkshop period org and set up an interview and a portfolio review. We will be checking if you already have a typeface you can work on for the duration of the workshop. We can also help you to choose the most suitable typeface for this workshop from your portfolio.