You will learn how to turn your lettering & calligraphy into a font. Type designer Ulrike Rausch introduces you to the font editor Glyphs, and will walk you through the process of creating your first authentic script typeface. This course is 24 hours of teaching over 3 months. No previous type design experience is necessary.
Ulrike Rausch: Introduction to Script Fonts (Latin)
18 January – 5 April 2023,
classes take place at 3:00 pm UK time
- Session 01, Jan. 18, 2023: Introduction to the Possibilities of Script and Handwriting Fonts
- Session 02, Jan. 25, 2023: Introduction to the Magic of OpenType Features
- Session 03, Feb. 1, 2023: General Introduction to Glyphs
- Session 04, Feb. 8, 2023: Setting-up your Font File
- Session 05, Feb. 15, 2023: Introduction to Spacing and Kerning in Script Fonts
- Session 06, Feb. 22, 2023: Alternatives, Ligatures, and Decorative Characters
- Session 07, Mar. 1, 2023: In-depth OpenType feature Session
- Session 08, Mar. 8, 2023: Diacritics
- Session 09, Mar. 15, 2023: Adding a Second Master (optional)
- Session 10, Mar. 22, 2023: Refinements
- Session 11, Mar. 29, 2023: Refinements + Tips for Marketing
- Session 12, Apr. 5, 2023: Final Presentation
The course will use the latest software to establish a virtual classroom and resource centre for the course materials. Participants will need to join the weekly sessions via a Zoom link that will be provided.
Participants will be required to prepare for each session, work on the given exercises, and present their work in class. We will start with a common sample typeface design for practising and getting familiar with Glyphs 3. The second project will be an opportunity for each participant to design their own new script typeface!
Max 12 attendees
The course fee is £990 + 20% VAT (if applicable) and is non-refundable. Participants are exempt of VAT if registering as an EU business
A stable internet connection and a Mac are required for this course. Participants will get a free trial version of Glyphs 3, which will be valid until the end of March 2023.