Four days for two scripts in Thailand: meet local script experts, become familiar with lettering and hand writing in Javanese and Khmer, understand different typographic conventions, and get to know the ins and outs of font production for Southeast Asian writing systems. And enjoy the evenings in Chiang Mai. And then go on to this year’s BITS conference!
Participants receive an extended trial license for Glyphs and can purchase their own full license at a discount.
Powered by Fontpad, Glyphs, BITS, TCDC and Cadson Demak.
Southeast Asian Font Workshop: Khmer & Javanese
Monday 7 through Thursday 10 October,
daily 10am–5pm with 1-hour lunch break
accommodation, food and drinks not included
- Understand the typographic conventions for Javanese and Khmer scripts.
- See what the letters look like and how they work together.
- Develop a concept for a type family and see where to start with each script.
- Sketch key characters to give your design a clear direction with feedback from local experts.
- Learn how to fit the different scripts together coherently.
- Go deeper into each script to build the glyph set. Identify common difficulties and how to get things right.
- No technical knowledge required: you can work on paper or digitally as you prefer.
Student sponsorship opportunities:
One sponsored place is available to students from South and Southeast Asia. Sponsorship covers workshop fees and travel costs up to THB 8000. All students registering by 31 August will be entered into the draw, and the sponsored place will be chosen and notified shortly thereafter.
Other companies or individuals wishing to sponsor student places are very welcome to email ben at fontpad dot co dot uk.
TCDC Chiang Mai
Behind Muang Mai Market, 1/1 Muang Samut Road
Changmoi Subdistrict, Muang District
Chiang Mai 50300
For designers and engineers of all skill levels who want to learn how to design fonts for Southeast Asia
- Professionals: THB 15000
(≈ EUR 420, GBP 380, USD 470)
- EARLY BIRD: THB 12000 BEFORE 31 AUGUST
(≈ EUR 340, GBP 300, USD 380)
- Students: THB 5000
(≈ EUR 140, GBP 120, USD 150)
one sponsored student place available (see below)
Bring your MacBook with Glyphs 2 preinstalled, pencils and paper.
Send an e-mail to verena at glyphsapp dot com, ask about ‘Southeast Asian Font Workshop’.