Typeface design is hitting the mainstream! Whether you’re a graphic designer or a budding type designer, this class will help you step up your type game, get out of your comfort zone, and even level up before a masters program.
Through an emphasis on sketching methods and design strategies, you’ll learn to make letterforms and produce fonts that speak for themselves (we are talking about display type, after all). Participants will do research to develop their own design brief, practice rigorously through weekly drawing exercises, and hone their personal discipline and craftsmanship. Your willingness to play and experiment is essential—display type is serious fun!
Principles of Typeface Design: Display Type
Workshop dates: Wed., Jun. 17 – Wed., Aug. 19, 2020
- How much?
- For whom?
Graphic designers or budding type designers who want to step up their type game, get out of their comfort zone, and even level up before a masters program. Max 16 participants.
- Mac computer (laptop or desktop)
- Reliable Internet connection
- A free Zoom account
- A free Slack account (an invitation to a class group will be sent to each participant)
- Adobe InDesign to test the fonts
- Adobe Illustrator 2019+ to work with variable fonts (highly recommended)
- Pilot Parallel Pen, 6.0 mm + refills (black ink)
- Pentel Arts Water-Based Color Brush Pens (black ink)
- Canson Pro-Layout Marker Paper Pad, 9" × 12" 50-Sheet Pad
- Canson Foundation Tracing Paper Pad, 9" × 12" 50-Sheet Pad
- Eraser, white-out, scissors, and tape (artist tape or removable tape recommended)
- After we’ve learned foundational analog techniques, you’re free to continue with whatever you’re comfortable using for sketching and lettering (including wacom tablets, iPads, etc)
- Any kind of sketchbook analog or digital to take notes and jot down ideas
- Glyphs App, a free temporary educational license will be issued to each student enrolled
- Access to a B&W laser printer is recommended for proofing homework and class exercises
This class will cover the basics of drawing letterforms by hand and digitally using Bézier curves in order to design coherent systems and develop your own typographic language. We can push the boundaries of legibility to make the wildest typeface of your dreams, or create an elegant and expressive design to fit a personal or branding project. Let’s display your talents.
- Discover your own process and develop an efficient workflow
- Understand lettering foundations and typographic variables
- Learn digital drafting skills
- Learn how to use Glyphs App, a digital font editor
- Learn how to design a basic Latin character set
- Develop your eye to judge consistency in contrast, color, spacing, and rhythm
- Introduction to working with multiple masters and producing variable fonts
- Learn how to proof and evaluate a typeface
This class will be taught online via Zoom and Slack. There will be class participation and homework each week to enable students to challenge themselves both practically and conceptually.