Type West Online is a postgraduate certificate program that brings in-depth type design education to anyone in the world.
Type West Online 2022
- Term 1: January 31–April 13
- Term 2: June 6–August 16
- Term 3: October 3–December 13
Classes on Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, two weekend or weeknight workshops per trimester.
Conceived from the start for remote learning, Type West Online’s reimagined curriculum was created by our faculty of type designers and historians — all of whom have extensive experience in online education. And unlike other courses which limit student interaction, our class size will be limited to 20 students to insure individualized instruction.
This yearlong program is tailored to the needs of recent graduates, working designers, and anyone seriously interested in diving deep into the world of type. The curriculum has been designed to give students a strong foundation in typeface design, while allowing them the flexibility to explore their own interests within the practice.
By the end of the program, you’ll have the knowledge required to produce high-quality typefaces, speak confidently with type designers, meet future collaborators, think critically about your work, develop your own process, understand your practice, and think about type in an entirely different way.
- Typeface Design Principles: A strong foundation in type is essential for breaking away from conventions. We’ll show you the ropes, teach you the rules, and guide you through the process for developing your own practice.
- Critical Thinking: Apart from drawing type, we’ll nourish your intellect through theory, history, and group discussion that will challenge you to think about type in new ways.
- Collaboration: Type designers are infamous for being reclusive. We’ll show you how you can balance focused isolation with active collaboration to develop a practice that fits your working style.
- Contemporary Topics: The field of type is always evolving. Type design is in constant dialog with other disciplines — everyone uses type! In addition to history and theory, we’ll invite guests for group discussions on the events and themes influencing our practice.
- Community Building: The moment you enter our online classroom, you’ll become part of a community that will support you every step of the way. We’ll give you the tools you need to stay motivated and make connections during and beyond the program.
All classes will be held online via Zoom and will be recorded.
Juan Villanueva, Carl Crossgrove, Lynne Yun, Gen Ramírez, Ewan Clayton, Briar Levit, Silas Munro
From highly motivated undergraduate students to passionate educators and experienced design professionals who want to enrich their practice through type, this program is tailored to the interests and needs of any person interested in studying and practicing type design at a deeper level for a full year.
USD 2,695 per trimester, scholarships available
Candidates must demonstrate a strong background in graphic design and be well versed in Adobe Creative Cloud software. Students must have access to their own Macintosh laptops. All necessary font creation software will be provided for the duration of the yearlong program.