If you are interested in Southeast Asian scripts, next week Ben Mitchell, Suppakit Chalermlap and other experts will have a week long workshop at Cadson Demak. Quick, sign up!
Southeast Asian Script Workshop
Monday 27 November through Friday 1 December:
- Monday: Thai script
- Tuesday: Lao script
- Wednesday: Khmer script
- Thursday: Burmese script
- Friday: Extending the design, feedback sessions, participant presentations
Ben Mitchell, Suppakit Chalermlap
Cadson Demak Studio, Bangkok
- How much?
- For whom?
For font designers of all skill levels who want to learn how to design fonts for Southeast Asia
- Attendees should bring pencils, pens and notepads, laptops with font editing software (a free demonstration version of Glyphs is available).
- Please bring ideas you’d like to work on during the workshop: example typefaces that you’d enjoy extending into Southeast Asian scripts, or a brief for a new design.
DM or e-mail Ben Mitchell directly: ben at fontpad dot co dot uk
Learn about fonts for Thai, Lao, Khmer and Burmese:
- Share knowledge with experienced professionals from different countries.
- See the different styles of writing and what they’re used for.
- Understand the character set for each script, what the letters look like and how they work together.
- Develop a concept for a type family including all four scripts and get feedback on suitability.
- Learn where to start with each script. Sketch key characters to give your design a clear direction.
- Go deeper into each script, extending the glyph set with support from professionals. Identify common difficulties and how to get things right.