Five days for four scripts in Thailand: meet local script experts, become familiar with lettering and hand writing in the scripts, understand different typographic conventions, and get to know the ins and outs of font production for Southeast Asian writing systems. And enjoy the evenings at the beach.
Participants receive an extended trial license and can purchase their own full license at a discount.
Southeast Asian Font Workshop
Monday 1 through Friday 5 October,
Co Working Space Hua Hin
155/16 Nong Kae-Takiap
Tambon Nong Kae, Amphoe Hua Hin, Chang Wat Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110, Thailand
- How much?
Professionals: THB 9000 (Thai Baht)
Students: THB 5000
- For whom?
For font designers of all skill levels who want to learn how to design fonts for Southeast Asia.
Bring your MacBook with Glyphs 2 preinstalled, pencils and paper.
Send an e-mail to verena at glyphsapp dot com, ask about ‘Southeast Asian Font Workshop’.
- Understand the typographic conventions for Thai, Lao, Burmese and Khmer scripts.
- See what the letters look like and how they work together.
- Develop a concept for a type family and see where to start with each script.
- Sketch key characters to give your design a clear direction with feedback from local experts.
- Learn how to fit the different scripts together coherently.
- Go deeper into each script to build the glyph set. Identify common difficulties and how to get things right.
- No technical knowledge required: you can work on paper or digitally as you prefer.
Student sponsorship opportunities:
A limited number of sponsored places are available to students from South and Southeast Asia. Sponsorship covers workshop fees and travel costs up to THB 8000. All students registering by 31 August will be entered into the draw, and sponsored places will be chosen and notified shortly thereafter. (Other companies or individuals wishing to sponsor student places are very welcome to email ben at fontpad dot co dot uk.)